Museum Associates are the face of the Miller Art Museum for visitors. The position requires an individual who has initiative, a positive attitude and can deliver outstanding professional, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and friendly service to the visiting public, competency and knowledge of the museum’s mission and exhibitions, as well as the capacity to handle and transact sales through the museum store and share general duties relating to the appearance and functioning of the museum.
The Miller Art Museum —an anchor for nearly 5 decades in one of the nation’s most vibrant, authentic art scenes in the heart of the Door County, Wisconsin— aspires to be a great cultural destination and regional leader in the museum community. The Museum continually strives to provide a transformative experience, accessible to all, in an intimate setting with programming that excites, engages and empowers. The institution is committed to providing a forum for cultural engagement and seeks, too, to shape future generations by celebrating and preserving the work and legacy of nationally renowned imaginary realist Gerhard CF Miller, aspiring to inform a new era of understanding and appreciation of his life and work.
- Greet museum visitors with warmth and attention, engaging them in conversation and providing appropriate information and assistance.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of museum exhibitions, programming, membership, museum store merchandise, and museum policies.
- Provide assistance with processing and restocking of merchandise, inventory management and general store/reception area housekeeping.
- Assist in maintaining an orderly and attractive store keeping merchandise stocked and neatly displayed.
- Operation of POS system.
- Handles cash responsibly to ensure smooth, accurate and efficient sales.
- Maintain record of visitors daily.
- Monitor visitors in galleries and museum store for security purposes.
- Survey galleries at opening and closing for condition and security.
- Assist in administrative support as needed by museum staff.
- Undertake other assignments as designated by the Executive Director.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & ABILITIES
- 1 – 2 years retail experience.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively operate a computerized POS system.
- Superior interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse audiences.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, justice, equity, inclusion, accessibility and diversity practices.
- A passion for and knowledge of art is highly desired.
- Retail experience specifically within a museum, specialty retail or book store.
- Fluency in Spanish or other language.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Executive Director
POSITION STATUS: Part-time
SCHEDULE: Saturdays from 10am – 5pm and other times as needed.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter explaining their interest in and qualifications for the position, current résumé, and a list of three professional references via email at . Position is open until filled.The Miller Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.